Coiling and floating across the sky, Shenlong is the revered lóng (“dragon”) of Chinese mythology that governs the elements upon which agriculture depends: wind, rain, clouds and, when angered, tempests. The benevolent rainmaker and master of storms is typically the colour of the blue sky so it often goes unseen, but on this affordable 99.99% pure gold coin, Shenlong strikes a commanding pose that leaves little doubt of its mastery over weather conditions that result in abundance and prosperity.
The coin’s reverse was designed by Simon Ng and features a depiction of the Chinese spirit dragon Shenlong, the benevolent bringer of rains and master of storms. Moving forward across the sky, the dragon’s snake-like body curls away into the distance, as Shenlong brings forth the elements of weather. The dragon’s talons rest on billowing clouds, and with cheeks puffed, Shenlong breathes out a swirling wind; that movement of air is also conveyed by the curling whiskers, eyebrows and horns. The obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
- Fourth Chinese spirit dragon. Chinese spirit dragons are regarded as benevolent mythological creatures, and they are among our most popular annual themes. Inspired by Chinese mythology, this fourth coin continues our tradition of showcasing the art motifs, symbols and legends that are a cherished part of Chinese-Canadian culture.
- A golden dragon in the Year of the Dragon. The spirit dragon on this 2024 coin is Shenlong, the powerful rainmaker and master of storms. Its likeness appears on the reverse of this precious keepsake crafted in 99.99% pure gold, which is also the traditional colour of prosperity and good fortune.
- Affordable gold coin. Struck on a 1/20 oz. (14.1 mm diameter) gold blank, this limited collectible is one of our most affordable pure gold offerings in 2024.
- Rare and in high demand. Previous dragon coins all sold out quickly, and only 8,888 pure gold Spirit Dragon coins are available worldwide.
- Includes serialized certificate. The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- No GST/HST.
- Mintage 8,888
- Composition 99.99% pure gold
- Weight 1.58 g
- Diameter 14.1 mm
- Edge Serrated
- Face Value $8
Your gold coin is presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded black clamshell and packaged in a red graphic beauty box, evoking the Chinese New Year “red envelope” tradition of bestowing a wish for luck and good fortune.