A new annual series, This Is Canada invites you to (re)discover the sights and species that inspire awe and pride for this country! Wondrous Waters is the theme for 2024, as we embark on a four-part exploration of the waters that surround us, beginning with the Pacific Ocean, which is highlighted on the series’ first 99.99% pure silver coin.
British Columbia is considered the most biologically diverse of the 10 Canadian provinces, and much of that diversity is focused along a coastline punctuated by islands and fjords. It’s easy to lose yourself in this spectacular setting where mountains and forests meet the sea, which is home to the long-revered cultural icon of the Pacific coast: the orca.
Your coin’s reverse travels to British Columbia for a view of Canada’s Pacific coast. Designed by B.C. artist Glen Green, this iconic coastal view shows a pod of orcas (Orcinus orca) travelling in the waters near a rocky island, while in the background, mighty forests and mountains line the shore. Compass elements surround the engraved portrait to form a frame that contains the word “CANADA” and a face value of “20 DOLLARS”. The obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
- Canada in all its splendour. A new annual series, This Is Canada brings you some of the wonders and wildlife that are synonymous with this country. This is Canada—in the hearts and minds of Canadians, and in the eyes of the world.
- The trip begins in 2024. A different theme is featured each year! In 2024, the theme is Wondrous Waters and there are four coins to collect. Complete the set!
- From shore to shore. This is the first issue in the new This Is Canada. It’s also the first of four Wondrous Waters coins issued in 2024, with each piece featuring a different view of the bodies of water that surround Canada. Next up:
- Coin 2: Arctic Coast
- Coin 3: Atlantic Coast
- Coin 4: Great Lakes
- Classic Canadiana. A fun series for all ages, this coin-by-coin trip across Canada represents more than an armchair travel experience—it’s a year-long adventure in collecting.
- Regional art. Crafted in 99.99% pure silver, each coin features a reverse design by a regional artist.
- A guiding compass. The compass frame appears on every coin in this Wondrous Waters. It is a symbol of curiosity, discovery and exploration. It’s also a visual reminder of just how vast Canada is!
- Subscribe to the 2024 series. With a subscription, you’re guaranteed to own all four (4) This Is Canada: Wondrous Waters. You’ll also get a free display sleeve—a subscription exclusive that ships with Coin #1—which houses all four beauty boxes together to form one complete set.
- Includes serialized certificate. The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- No GST/HST.
- Mintage 7,500
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Weight 31.39 g
- Diameter 38 mm
- Edge Serrated
- Face Value $20
- Finish Proof
Your coin comes in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell packaged in a graphic beauty box.