A dedication to understanding the world around him and an ability to envision a brighter future were the driving forces of Alexander Graham Bell’s (1847-1922) life. In honour of the 175th anniversary of his birth, the 2022 Proof Dollar celebrates Bell’s lifelong commitment to science, innovation and ingenuity. You’ll find a selectively gold-plated version of the Proof Dollar in this seven-piece proof set—in fact, this is your only opportunity to get the gold-enhanced edition since it’s a set exclusive. All seven coins are finely crafted in 99.99% pure silver, but the gold-plating on the proof dollar directs your attention to its reverse, where the word-art portrait of the inventor is paired with a depiction of his most famous invention: the telephone.
A word-art portrait of innovation! Celebrate the life and legacy of Alexander Graham Bell with a selectively gold-plated Proof Dollar!
- AN EXCLUSIVE VERSION OF THE 2022 PROOF DOLLAR! Your fine silver proof set includes a selectively gold-plated version of the 2022 Proof Dollar. This gold-enhanced version is a set exclusive—it’s only available as part of this seven-piece set.
- A CANADIAN CELEBRATION OF INNOVATION! The year 2022 marks the 175th anniversary of the birth of Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922), the great inventor whose interests and inventions had a profound impact on our modern world—and many of those advancements were made in Canada.
- A SPECIAL THEME FOR 2022! The Alexander Graham Bell: Great Inventor commemorative collection highlights Bell’s achievements across several coins in 2022, including the proof dollar in this Fine Silver Proof Set.
- A WORD-ART PORTRAIT! Precisely etched in 99.99% pure silver, the Proof Dollar’s word-art portrait takes visual storytelling to a whole new level by incorporating key words that form a more complete (and compelling) story. It’s also a fitting tribute to a person who spent much of his life studying communication.
- AN 1876 TELEPHONE! The telephone is the invention that made Bell world famous, and the one that paved the way for his other contributions to science and technology. Your Proof Dollar’s reverse includes a depiction of his experimental model from 1876, plus a reproduction of Bell’s signature.
- INCLUDES THE 50-CENT COIN! Every Canadian denomination of circulation coinage is represented in this set—even our elusive 50-cent piece. Your seven coins have been expertly crafted in 99.99% pure silver and feature a high-shine proof finish that accentuates all the finely engraved details.
- ELEGANT PRESENTATION! Your set comes in book-style packaging made of genuine leather for a touch of timeless sophistication.
- LIMITED MINTAGE! Only 20,000 sets available worldwide.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- NO GST/HST
Mintage: 20 000
This set’s exclusive proof dollar features a selectively gold-plated reverse design by Canadian artist and RCM translation and official languages specialist, Armand Nina. Its word-art portrait of inventor Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922) is composed of various words that represent different aspects of his life, accomplishments and legacy. An experimental model of Bell’s most famous contribution to science and technology, the telephone, appears to the left of the inventor, while Bell’s signature appears near the rim. The reverse includes the word “CANADA”, the face value, “DOLLAR” and the year “2022”. The selectively gold-plated obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
“It’s been more than 20 years now that colleagues know me at the Mint as a French and English specialist, but, in fact, my true mother tongue is art. Although I dabble in various art forms, from the craft of batik to painting on canvas, from Baroque music to photography, my true speciality is the art of portraiture and I’m really honoured that my artwork graces the 2022 Proof Dollar.” – Armand Nina, Artist
“At an early age, Alexander Graham Bell learned from his father that problems are challenges to be solved. He held on to this conviction throughout his 75 years, working to improve our lives and helping us navigate a modern world by breaking down barriers, bringing us closer together, and teaching us to embrace the hand-in-hand realms of science and nature.” – Elsie Myers Martin, Mathematician, choreographer and Bell descendent
Your fine silver proof set is presented in Royal Canadian Mint-branded book-style packaging with a removable lens for easy viewing.