Our Second World War: Battlefront seriesends with a special tribute to all the Canadians and Newfoundlanders who fought on the battlefronts of the world, and to those who supported their efforts from the homefront. Victory requires sacrifices of many kinds, and that’s what this intricately engraved design represents. The bold “V” and the flaming torch from the 1943-45 Victory Nickel are echoes of our past and express a desire to never forget. Completing the maple leaf-shaped arrangement are the geometric forms that represent the different backgrounds (cultural, ethnic, linguistic) of the men and women who served, as well as their contributions to victory 75 years ago.
Set against a sunburst, the reverse design by Canadian artist Jamie Desrochers offers a modern take on the 1943-45 Victory Nickel designed by Thomas Shingles. The original “V” for Victory and the torch symbol of sacrifice have been updated to represent the new generations who are carrying the torch of remembrance on the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War (“1945” and “2020”). The two maple leaves from the wartime coin play a larger role in this design, where a large maple leaf in the background subtly unifies the maple leaf-shaped arrangement of geometric shapes. The forms represent different peoples, races, cultures and the varied backgrounds of the men and women who contributed to the Allied victory in 1945. The obverse features the effigy of King George VI by T.H. Paget and a Victory privy mark.
- COMPLETE THE SERIES: Our multi-year Battlefront: Second World War series ends with this tenth coin, which commemorates the 75th anniversary of the Allied victory in Europe (1945).
- CUTTING-EDGE ENGRAVING: From bold lines to low relief, we combined cutting-edge engraving techniques to create a luminous design that is deeply meaningful. Take the coin and tilt it in your hand to see how the engraving plays with light – the effect is striking!
- EVERYTHING OLD IS NEW AGAIN: We put a new spin on a classic coin from that era: the 1943-45 Victory nickel designed by Thomas Shingles. Modern elements reflect our current view of the war, with various shapes that represent different people and perspectives. And it all comes together to form the shape of a maple leaf.
- PACKAGING COMPLETES THE TIMELINE: This coin’s packaging matches all other coins in the series. Collect each coin in the series and place the custom beauty boxes spine to spine—they form a complete timeline of Canada’s major military engagements in the Second World War.
- Mintage 7,500
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 31.39
- Diameter (mm) 38
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 20 dollars
- Artist Jamie Desrochers (reverse), T. H. Paget (obverse)
Burgundy clamshell with graphic beauty box