Continuing with the Endangered Species theme, the 2022 Specimen Set’s exclusive specimen $1 coin offers you an inspiring wildlife comeback story! Named for its impressive running speed, the swift fox was once abundant in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. The expansion of agriculture and the loss of its grassland habitat—not to mention the effects of predation and poisoning—caused this cat-sized canine to vanish from the Canadian prairies in the late 1930s. It was absent for nearly half a century, but thankfully, reintroduction efforts began in 1983; by 1997, 942 swift foxes had been released into the southern grasslands of Alberta and Saskatchewan, and a small but growing population was successfully established. Through ongoing research, recovery work and coordinated conservation efforts led by various organizations and members of the Canadian Swift Fox Recovery Team, including the Calgary Zoo, the swift fox is mounting a comeback in Canada and is considered one of the most successful species re-introduction stories.
Want to share your interest in coins and wildlife? This affordable set is a great gift or starter set for a new collector.
- THIRD IN A MULTI-YEAR SERIES! Keep your specimen set collection up to date with the 2022 edition! This set is the third in the multi-year Endangered Species series that is raising awareness of wildlife conservation and species recovery efforts in Canada.
- A WORLD EXCLUSIVE! We are the only mint to issue an annual set of coins in a specimen finish (brilliant/frosted relief against a lined background). All Canadian denominations are represented in this set: $2, a special-themed $1, 50 cents, 25 cents, 10 cents and 5 cents.
- ONLY AVAILABLE AS PART OF THIS SET: The specimen $1 coin features a portrait of the swift fox and it is exclusive to this set—it is not available for individual purchase. The specimen 50-cent coin is another set exclusive.
- PACKAGED FOR EASY VIEWING: All six coins are presented side-by-side in an elegant book-style packaging that allows for easy viewing.
- FOR WILDLIFE LOVERS! This affordable set’s educational theme makes it a great gift for animal lovers of all ages, and the inspiring story of the swift fox’s reintroduction is a reminder that we can all give nature a helping hand.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
Mintage: 30 000
Designed by Canadian artist Claude Thivierge, the set-exclusive specimen $1 coin features a depiction of the Swift fox (Vulpes velox) running through the mixed-grass prairies. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
“The swift fox is fast! It’s been known to run at speeds of over 60 kilometres per hour, which allows it to flee from predators and capture its prey. That’s why I opted to create this design that is all action and speed, and very dynamic.” Claude Thivierge, Artist
“Working hand in hand with the Calgary Zoo to develop this coin was a great learning experience. I hope this Specimen Set helps create greater awareness of the wildlife efforts in Canada, and that it inspires people to build a future where people and nature thrive.” Alicia Cook Sapene, Product Manager, Royal Canadian Mint
“The swift fox is a precious icon of our Canadian natural heritage. After over 40 years of extinction from Canada, its return is the result of relentless dedication by conservation agencies, governments, donors, and landowners. It shows that long-term dedication and relentless commitment can achieve great things and that there is hope for endangered species that we love. Swift foxes still need our help, and I believe that Canadians will once again step up to the challenge.” Dr. Axel Moehrenschlager, Director of Conservation and Science, Calgary Zoo
Your specimen set comes in elegant book-style packaging, with a removable lens that allows you to display and view your coins with ease.