For more than 200 years, there have been reports of an eerie apparition in Chaleur Bay and in the Northumberland Strait. Some describe a glowing ball of fire; others have seen a manned, three-masted ship with sails all aflame. Those who have attempted a rescue remember approaching the glowing vessel, only for the ship to suddenly vanish without a trace…
The perfect gift for someone who enjoys a good ghost story.
- A BLACK LIGHT-ACTIVATED COLOUR REVEAL: Innovative Colour Reveal technology makes it possible to witness a “ghostly” apparition on this pure silver coin.
- BLACK LIGHT FLASHLIGHT INCLUDED WITH EACH COIN: The engraved scene is stunning in any light, but the true story unfolds when you view your coin’s reverse under a black light (included), which will activate the technology.
- A FUN EXPLORATION OF FOLKLORE: Travel to Atlantic Canada to uncover one of Canada’s most famous ghost stories. Is it an optical illusion? Is the ship doomed to haunt our eastern waters? It’s a fascinating story that culminates with an exciting reveal on this coin!
- A NEW GHOSTLY TALE: You may have met a ghost bride (2014), a headless brakeman (2015) and the ghost of Bell Island (2016), or had a haunting experience at an Ottawa hostel (2019). But this ghost story has never been featured on a coin issued by the Royal Canadian Mint—until now.
- INCREDIBLY DETAILED: From the traditional dory on the engraved shore to the hidden ghost ship on the horizon, every aspect of this design is carefully detailed to reflect our love for a good ghost story.
- POPULAR WITH COLLECTORS: Previous coins that featured this technology have sold out (see the 2019 Lights of Parliament Hill coin).
- A FUN, ENGAGING THEME: The perfect gift for someone who enjoys a good ghost story, and an opportunity to show young collectors how fun this hobby can be!
- LOW MINTAGE: Limited to 1,500 coins worldwide.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: Regardless of special packaging, the Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- NO GST/HST
- No. 203994
- Mintage 1,500
- Composition 99.99% pure silver, with black light-activated colour reveal
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 157.6
- Diameter (mm) 65.25
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 50 dollars
- Artist Neil Hamelin (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
The reverse design by Canadian artist Neil Hamelin travels to the shores of Atlantic Canada, where two local sailors push a dory into the rough surf. They are attempting a rescue just as the storm rolls in, but the ship in need is only visible when the scene is viewed under black light. With Colour Reveal technology, a three-masted ship appears on the horizon and seems to be ablaze from bow to stern… but is it real or is it an illusion? The reverse includes the words “CANADA” and “2022”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.