t was a series that culminated in one of the most iconic moments in Canadian history—a “where were you when…?” moment that is cherished to this day—and those eight games ultimately changed the way hockey was played. Fifty years later, the intensity and excitement of the 1972 Summit Series between Canada and the Soviet Union (U.S.S.R.) still live on in the collective memory of Canadians, along with the heart, grit and determination demonstrated by members of Team Canada. Their legacy and team spirit are proudly honoured on this 50TH anniversary commemorative coin, which features the stylized maple leaf that was the rallying symbol for an entire nation in September 1972.
- The Summit Series, 50 years later! Celebrate the 50TH anniversary of the historic hockey series that captivated this nation, igniting passions and uniting Canadians around their national team. The 1972 Summit Series was a defining moment for Canadians, and this coin proudly honours Canada’s Summit Series team!
- A complete roster! Look closely at the design elements that surround the inner portion—those numbers represent the Team Canada roster (see below). Every player is represented by his jersey number, and the coaches’ initials are included too!
- The jersey’s maple leaf! The stylized maple leaf on your coin’s reverse is more than a proud symbol of Canada: it is the iconic maple leaf from Team Canada’s 1972 Summit Series jersey.
- 2 oz. of fine silver! The perfect collectible for any hockey fan, your coin has been crafted in 2 oz. of 99.99% pure silver and features a large 50 mm diameter.
- Low mintage! Limited to just 5,000 coins worldwide.
- Includes serialized certificate! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- No GST/HST
Team Canada roster for the 1972 Summit Series
Head Coach and General Manager (GM): Harry Sinden (“HS” on your coin)
Assistant Coach/GM: John Ferguson (“JF”)
|Jersey #||Name||Position||Jersey #||Name||Position|
|1||Ed Johnston||G||20||Peter Mahovlich||AG|
|2||Gary Bergman||D||21||Stan Mikita||C|
|3||Pat Stapleton||D||22||Jean-Paul Parisé||AG|
|4||Bobby Orr||D||23||Serge Savard||D|
|5||Brad Park||D||24||Mickey Redmond||AD|
|6||Ron Ellis||AD||25||Guy Lapointe||D|
|7||Phil Esposito||C||26||Don Awrey||D|
|8||Rod Gilbert||AD||27||Frank Mahovlich||AG|
|9||Bill Goldsworthy||AD||28||Bobby Clarke||C|
|10||Dennis Hull||AG||29||Ken Dryden||G|
|11||Vic Hadfield||AG||32||Dale Tallon||D|
|12||Yvan Cournoyer||AD||33||Gilbert Perreault||C|
|14||Wayne Cashman||AG||34||Marcel Dionne||C|
|15||Red Berenson||C||35||Tony Esposito||G|
|16||Rod Seiling||D||36||Richard Martin||AG|
|17||Bill White||D||37||Jocelyn Guèvremont||D|
|18||Jean Ratelle||C||38||Brian Glennie||D|
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.