A look back at the birth of the Toonie! This anniversary set features a 99.99% pure silver recreation of the $2 coin that made its debut on February 19, 1996—the same day Canada ceased to issue $2 bills, like the one featured here. Sealed in its own capsule, the uncirculated $2 bank note in this set is from the Bank of Canada’s 1986 Birds of Canada series and represents the last of its kind—in fact, this one is a rare BRX replacement bank note1 that has been locked in our vault for 25 years. As for the fine silver coin, it is selectively gold-plated to resemble our beloved bi-metallic circulation piece, which quickly became a fixture in the everyday lives of Canadians.
A recreation of the first $2 coin issued in 1996, your coin’s reverse was originally designed by Canadian artist Brent Townsend and features an adult polar bear in early summer, standing on an ice floe. The image portion is plated with gold to mimic the distinctive appearance of the bi-metallic circulation coin. The obverse features the classic effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Dora de Pédery-Hunt, while the double dates “1996-2021” commemorate the 25th anniversary of Canada’s $2 circulation coin.
- THE TOONIE TURNS 25! Join us in celebrating the 25th anniversary of Canada’s $2 circulation coin! This coin and bank note set looks back at the $2 coin’s debut in 1996.
- REVISIT A HISTORIC TRANSITION! A before-and-after retrospective, this set commemorates Canada’s transition to the Toonie by pairing one of the last $2 bank notes with a reproduction of the first $2 coin.
- INCLUDES A REPLACEMENT BRX $2 BANK NOTE! Sealed in a capsule, the uncirculated $2 bill is a colourful piece of the past. It was part of the 1986 Birds of Canada series issued by the Bank of Canada and represents the last of the $2 bank notes that circulated in Canada until 1996.
- A BRX REPLACEMENT BANK NOTE! Take a closer look at your $2 bill’s serial number: the “BRX” prefix identifies it as a replacement bank note in case a regular one was damaged or destroyed during the printing process. Replacement notes rarely enter circulation—in fact, this one has been locked in our vault for 25 years, which makes it a unique collectible.
- A SNAPSHOT OF 1996! Crafted in 99.99% pure silver, this collector coin features the reverse and obverse designs from the first two-dollar coin issued in 1996, but a slightly larger (38 mm) diameter and double dates (“1996-2021”) to commemorate the 25th anniversary in 2021.
- SELECTIVE GOLD PLATING! Gold plating on the centre portion of your coin mimics the look of our bi-metallic $2 circulation piece. The rim is also plated with gold, which provides an extra touch of contrast and elegance.
- AN AFFORDABLE SET! Priced at $149.95, this set offers great value anda theme that will appeal to any collector of Canadian circulation currency, whether that includes bank notes or coins!
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- NO GST/HST!
- Mintage 7,500
- Composition 99.99% pure silver with selective gold plating
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 31.39
- Diameter (mm) 38
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 2 dollars
- Artist Brent Townsend (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)