Inspired by the Chinese proverb “The carp has leaped over the Dragon Gate,” this beautiful gold coin design represents triumph over adversity. According to legend, many carp swim upstream and attempt to jump the Dragon Gate, but few prevail. If a carp bravely perseveres and completes the final leap, it is rewarded for its hard work by being transformed into a powerful golden dragon — like the triumphant dragon on this 99.99% pure gold coin.
The reverse design by graphic designer Albert Ng is inspired by the Chinese legend of the Carp and the Dragon Gate and influenced by depictions of Chi Wen, second son of the Dragon King. Having completed the final leap to the top of the waterfall, the carp is rewarded with a transformation and is depicted as a Chinese dragon-headed fish. Beneath it are the water symbols of adversity and obstacles to overcome in order to achieve success. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- A SPECIAL THEME! Celebrate the Chinese New Year and jumpstart your success with this gold dragon coin. Its design is inspired by the Chinese legend of the Carp and the Dragon Gate and influenced by the tale of Chi Wen, second son of the Dragon King.
- YOUR GOLD DRAGON COIN FOR 2021: What better way to celebrate the New Year than with a lucky dragon! Dragons are among the most popular figures in Chinese mythology, and it is an auspicious symbol of power, strength and good fortune.
- AN AFFORDABLE GOLD COIN: This stunning coin is crafted in 1/20 oz. of 99.99% pure gold.
- WRAPPED IN GOOD LUCK: In keeping with the Chinese New Year “red envelope” gift-giving tradition, your gold dragon coin comes packaged in a special beauty box that is coloured red for good luck.
- WISHING YOU SUCCESS: This coin is yours to keep or share, but anyone can find inspiration in the story of the carp that persevered in the face of impossible obstacles and became a dragon, as seen on this coin!
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- LIMITED WORLDWIDE: Your coin has a limited worldwide mintage of 8,888.
- NO GST/HST
- Mintage 8,888
- Composition 99.99% pure gold
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 1.58
- Diameter (mm) 14.10
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 8 dollars
- Artist Albert Ng (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Your beautiful gold coin is presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell and packaged in a red graphic beauty box, evoking the Chinese New Year “red envelope” tradition of bestowing a wish for luck and good fortune.