Formed in 1971 to demonstrate the skill, professionalism and teamwork inherent in the Canadian Forces, the Snowbirds carry on a proud tradition of aerial excellence that dates back to the early years of powered flight in Canada. Their eminent predecessors include aerobatic teams such as the Royal Canadian Air Force’s (RCAF’s) first official aerobatic team in 1929, the Siskins, followed by many others including the Blue Devils, Sky Lancers, Red Knight, Golden Hawks and Golden Centennaires to name a few. In the post war years prior to unification in 1968, the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) also formed several aerobatic teams including the Seafire Exhibition Flight and Grey Ghosts. The true significance of the Snowbirds and the legacy they represent can be measured in the hearts and minds of the millions of Canadians who turn their heads skyward year after year to marvel at the team’s grace and precision as they weave their aerial magic across the nation. They continue to be proud ambassadors for the men and women serving in all branches of the Canadian Armed Forces while paying tribute to the thousands of personnel, both military and civilian, who have contributed to their overwhelming success and popularity across North America.
Your coin was designed by Canadian graphic artist Dave O’Malley, inspired by a photograph of the Snowbirds taken by Canadian aviation photographer and publisher Mike Reyno. It features a highly-detailed view of the topside of Snowbird 9 and bottomside of Snowbird 8 revealing the signature “speedbird” design that was introduced by the team in 1974. The engraved “SNOWBIRDS 50” salutes the 50th anniversary of the team in 2021. This unique coin also features beautiful gold plating on both sides designed for the exclusive collector. The effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt with “ELIZABETH II”, “D·G·REGINA” and “50 DOLLARS” engraved along the outer edge of the coin is featured on your coin obverse, along with a pattern on the field of a repeated design element taken from the official Snowbirds 50 logo. Project initiative, production liaison and historical text were provided by former Snowbird commander and team leader Dan Dempsey.
- HONOURS AN AVIATION LEGACY. The Snowbirds are world-renowned for the precision and grace of their thrilling aerobatic show set to music. This Snowbirds coin salutes a legacy of aerobatic team prowess that dates back over 90 years in Canada.
- THE CANADIAN DESIGNED AND BUILT CT-114 TUTOR. Your coin features the diminutive Canadair Tutor jet trainer that has been the mount of the Snowbirds since their inception. In the mid-1960s Canadair built 190 Tutors for service in the RCAF and Canadian Forces.
- THE SOLOS AND DOUBLE DIAMOND FORMATION. Your coin features the team’s two solo aircraft, Snowbirds 8 and 9, splitting away from each other with the remaining seven-plane “Double Diamond” formation in a vertical climb in the background. It is from these two basic elements that the Snowbirds build their integrated display that features precision aerobatic formation manoeuvres interspersed with the breathtaking head-on aerobatics by the two solos.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE. The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- 5 OZ. PURE SILVER. Your coin is crafted from five ounces of 99.99% pure silver and enhanced with selective gold plating.
- NO GST/HST.
- Mintage 1,000
- Composition 99.99 % pure silver with selective gold plating
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 157.6
- Diameter (mm) 65.25
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 50 dollars
- Artist Dave O’Malley (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)