New technology alert! How do you draw equal attention to a portrait’s subject and background? You treat them as independent layers of art! Thanks to a new advanced minting process, this piedfort-sized coin has two distinctly separate layers of engraving on its reverse: a cutout, and a background etched on the coin’s interior surface. This is Multilayered Engraving, a groundbreaking approach that was previewed in early 2020 as part of the From R&D Lab collection. It’s about unlocking additional design space on a standard coin blank. By using specially manufactured dies, we’re now able to engrave behind the reverse’s top plate—in this case, the cougar that cuts away to a sweeping view of its forest surroundings.
On the reverse, a wildlife portrait by Canadian artist Denis Mayer Jr. is enhanced with Multilayered Engraving that divides the art into distinct layers. A top plate features a cutout of a cougar (Puma concolor) perched on a branch. Behind it, the coin’s interior surface provides a separate base layer for an engraved rendering of a forest setting in Western Canada. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- NEW MULTILAYERED ENGRAVING! Pioneered by the Royal Canadian Mint’s R&D researchers, Multilayered Engraving is a revolutionary new technique that unlocks additional design space by engraving behind the top plate, on the coin’s inside surface.
- THE FULL POTENTIAL OF A WORLD FIRST! Multilayered Engraving was first unveiled to the world in early 2020 as part of the From R&D Lab collection. This fine silver coin is the first to show the full potential of this groundbreaking technique.
- A DRAMATICALLY DIMENSIONAL DESIGN! The background offers a sweeping view of the forest—it doesn’t just stop where the subject (the cougar) begins. It’s a more dimensional approach to coin design, all while working with the traditional weight and precious metal volume of a standard coin blank.
- A 3D LOOK! By extending the art as close to the edge as possible, the engraved cougar cutout has a more 3D-like appearance—with its intense gaze, it looks ready to pounce!
- AN OVERSIZED PIECE! With its 55 mm diameter, this larger-sized 99.99% pure silver coin is sized like a piedfort coin.
- A VERY LOW MINTAGE of just 1,500 coins worldwide means this is a limited opportunity to own such a remarkable collectible.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- NO GST/HST!
- Mintage 1,500
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 105.62
- Diameter (mm) 55
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 50 dollars
- Artist Denis Mayer Jr. (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a black Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.