The tale of the 17th century mariner’s astrolabe found near Cobden, Ontario, is the inspiration for this 5 oz. pure silver coin. Its reverse features a small-scale reproduction of the lost-then-found astrolabe, cast in silver and bronze plated fixed atop Samuel de Champlain’s map of New France (1632). The astrolabe’s graduated scale encircles the map, which has been re-created using a mix of traditional and laser engraving that gets all the details right. The end result is a design that perfectly channels the spirit of the era in which the astrolabe was made, used… and lost!
The reverse design features a reproduction of the 17th century mariner’s astrolabe found near Cobden, Ontario, and popularly associated with French explorer-cartographer Samuel de Champlain. Used to determine latitude, the navigational tool-turned-treasure is cast in silver and bronze plated on this coin; it is backed by an engraved reproduction of Champlain’s hand-drawn map of New France (1632), which is framed by the astrolabe’s graduated scale. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- THE COBDEN ASTROLABE! Discover the fascinating tale of the 17th century mariner’s astrolabe found near Cobden, Ontario, and popularly associated with French explorer-cartographer Samuel de Champlain.
- CAST IN SILVER! Cast in silver and bronze-plated, a reproduction of a mariner’s astrolabe tops the reverse of your 5 oz. 99.99% pure silver coin.
- TWO TREASURES IN ONE DESIGN! An engraved rendering of Samuel de Champlain’s hand-drawn map of New France backs our mariner’s astrolabe — it’s a nod to the story of the astrolabe, but also to the era it represents.
- A MIX OF TECHNIQUES! The astrolabe’s graduated scale is engraved near the rim in greatdetail. The map’s elements were reproduced using a mix of traditional and laser engraving techniques to ensure all the finer details stand out.
- THE ART OF CARTOGRAPHY! The vintage map perfectly channels the spirit of early European exploration in Canada. It’s a striking effect, and it makes this a must-have piece for history and cartography enthusiasts.
- LOW MINTAGE! A similar coin, the 2019 Rose of the Winds coin, sold out quickly. This coin has a limited mintage of 1,000 worldwide.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- NO GST/HST
- Mintage 1,000
- Composition coin: 99.99% pure silver – embellishment: 99.99% pure silver with bronze plating
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 157.6
- Diameter (mm) 65.25
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 50 dollars
- Artist Royal Canadian Mint engravers (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Your coin is individually encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.