The heraldic emblem on our 50-cent circulation coin takes on extra significance this year (2021), as we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the original Arms of Canada. Canada’s Coat of Arms was proclaimed by King George V in 1921, as a representation of Canada and its political roots – especially its ties to Great Britain and France. The design features images from France (the fleur-de-lis), England (the three royal lions and rose), Scotland (royal Scottish lion and thistle) and Ireland (the royal Irish harp of Tara and shamrock). In 1957, the Tudor Crown originally featured in the Coat of Arms was replaced by Saint Edward’s crown because it represents all of Britain’s monarchs, rather than only those of one ruling family. It was modified again in 1994 so that the motto of the Order of Canada, Desiderantes Meliorem Patriam (Latin for “they desire a better country”), could be added.
Your coins feature Canada’s Coat of Arms, which was adopted by proclamation of King George V in 1921. A heraldic art form dating back centuries, the Arms first appeared on the 50-cent coin in 1937 and was updated in 1957 and 1994. Each coin’s obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- CANADA’S COAT OF ARMS TURNS 100! Celebrate the 100th anniversary of the original Arms of Canada. Created a century ago, Canada’s coat of arms has appeared on almost all 50-cent circulation coins issued since 1937—including these pieces struck for 2021.
- NO LONGER IN CIRCULATION! Fifty-cent coins are no longer in circulation but you can still enjoy this rarity by acquiring a roll of freshly minted 2021 coins!
- 25 PER ROLL! This is the only way to get the 50-cent piece outside of a set. You get 25 coins per roll!
- DISTINCTIVE! A collector favourite, each 50-cent special wrap roll is a distinctive collectible that adds a touch of rarity to any circulation-themed collection.
- Mintage 15,000 rolls
- Composition three-ply nickel plated steel
- Finish circulation
- Weight (g) 6.9
- Diameter (mm) 27.13
- Edge serrated
- Certificate n/a
- Face value 50 cents
- Artist Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Your coins are wrapped in a special illustrated paper.