In Canada, the white-tailed deer is the most common and widely distributed large mammal. If you spot one, it is likely grazing in woodland edges and pastures. However, the deer startles easily; at the first sign of trouble, it raises the alarm by flagging its brown tail to reveal a white underside (hence its name) as it gallops out of sight. Coin #3 of our Imposing Icons series invites you to look deep into the eyes of the white-tailed deer. This close encounter with such a large prey species is made possible by the coin’s large (50 mm) diameter, which provides ample room for both the engraved wilderness and colourful wildlife.
Designed by artist Maurade Baynton, the reverse features a selectively coloured, close-up view of the white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). The finely engraved backdrop showcases the forest, one of the deer’s many habitats in Canada. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- A NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN VIEW: Our wildlife-themed coins have featured full body or side-view portraits, but rarely a front-facing one—and never one with such a close view that you can almost feel the animal’s breath.
- SUBSCRIBE TODAY TO ADD THE COMPLETE FOUR-COIN SERIES TO YOUR COLLECTION. Your first coin comes with a subscription-only case with spaces for the remaining coins, which will be automatically shipped to you the moment they are released.
- A LARGER DIAMETER (50 MM) DRAWS YOU DEEP INTO THE WILDERNESS. Imagine taking a photo of the landscape when the elusive animal suddenly appears and steps into your shot—it’s the perfect view of a wild Canada.
- MIX OF FINISHES: Selective colour instantly draws the eye towards the wildlife, but the wilderness in the background is every bit as breathtaking. From mountains to forests, the Canadian landscape is beautifully re-created thanks to finely detailed engraving, with multiple finishes to add extra dimension.
- FROM CANADA, WITH LOVE: Canada is known for its outsized wilderness and wildlife, and these coins perfectly capture the rugged beauty of both. It’s a four-part celebration of Canada’s untouched corners and the wild creatures that quietly inhabit them.
- LIMITED WORLDWIDE MINTAGE: Limited mintage of 2,500 coins makes this sought-after coin a rare collectible.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- 2 OZ. 99.99% PURE SILVER: NO GST/HST!
- Mintage 2,500
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 62.69
- Diameter (mm) 50
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 30 dollars
- Artist Maurade Baynton (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.