They sought freedom and a better life here. In the time of the War of American Independence (1775-1783), thousands of Black Loyalists—some free, some indentured, and others still enslaved—came to British North America and put down roots in present-day Canada. But the hardships they endured are a reminder of how complex our history can be. Their triumphs and tribulations are a fundamental part of Canada’s story that should be honoured and remembered, as they are on this pure silver coin, which features the armorial bearings of the Black Loyalist Heritage Society.
Your coin’s reverse features the armorial bearings of the Black Loyalist Heritage Society granted in 2006 by the Canadian Heraldic Authority and designed by Darrel E. Kennedy, Assiniboine Herald. On the shield, three Loyalist civil coronets represent the non-combatants who fled to British North America (Canada), while the ship’s wheel represents both the past (the ships landing in 1783) and the present (the Society’s focus on community development). The lion supporters symbolize the pride of Africa and the courage demonstrated by those who sought a better life in Nova Scotia. Beneath the shield, the province is represented by its official floral emblem, the mayflower, while the rock symbolizes the landings near Birchtown, N.S. The anchor in the crest honours the sacrifices of the families who undertook the journey, which is represented by the footprints in the mantling. The motto “THE HEART OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE IS IN YOUR ROOTS” speaks to the Society members’ interest in their heritage. The armorial bearings are flanked by maple leaves. The obverse features a repeating maple leaf field pattern and the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- NEW RELEASE FOR BLACK HISTORY MONTH: This 1 oz. 99.99% pure silver coin is the latest in a series honouring the legacy of Black Canadians whose achievements and struggles are an important part of Canada’s story.
- A TRIBUTE TO BLACK LOYALIST SETTLERS: The 2021 coin shines the spotlight on the Black Loyalists who settled in present-day Canada in late 18th century.
- A SYMBOL OF THE PAST AND PRESENT: On the coin’s reverse, the armorial bearings of the Black Loyalist Heritage Society honour the trailblazers of the past and those who safeguard their memory today.
- SUBTLE FIELD PATTERN: A symbol of Canada, the maple leaf adds a symbolic flourish to the reverse and forms a repeating pattern on the obverse.
- IMPORTANT CHAPTER IN CANADIAN HISTORY: A powerful addition to your history-themed collection, this collectible tribute to Black Loyalists honours the contributions they made to Canada’s story and identity.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins, including this one, which has a limited mintage of 5,500 worldwide.
- NO GST/HST
- Mintage 5,500
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 31.39
- Diameter (mm) 38
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value dollars
- Artist Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Your coin is individually encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.