The design that gave Bluenose the gift of speed also gave the schooner its grace and majesty.Our 2021 Bluenose centennial celebration continues on this limited edition collectible, which highlights the ingenuity and elegance of the ship’s design. On the 20 mm coin’s reverse, the photo of a newly launched Bluenose before being fitted with sails and rigging presents a different view of the fishing vessel, while the hull drawing is a nod to the design that made it a racing champion.
The reverse celebrates Bluenose through two images that are precisely aligned to create a contrasting effect. In the background, the hull drawing focuses on W.J. Roué’s streamlined design and the clean lines that contributed to the ship’s successful racing career. In the foreground, the image of Bluenose without sails and dressed in an array of signal flags is based on a launch day (March 26, 1921) photograph, but the use of a forced perspective emphasizes the bow and creates a sense of movement. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- PART OF THE BLUENOSE ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION: The Bluenose story continues! The 2021 Proof Dollar was the first chapter of a story that continues on multiple coins this year; the next chapter is Bluenose‘s launch, which is the theme behind this magnificent coin.
- BIG ON DETAILS: Thanks to a mix of different finishes and techniques, this coin’s engraved design is just as detailed and complex as previous $100 pure gold coins.
- A DIFFERENT VIEW! You’re used to seeing the image of Bluenose under full sail — that’s how the ship has appeared on our 10-cent circulation coin since 1937. For this design, RCM engravers opted for a new perspective that emphasizes the bow and shows Bluenose without its sails and rigging.
- A TREASURED TRIBUTE: The only gold coin in our yearlong (2021) celebration of the 100th anniversary of Bluenose, the ship that captured a nation’s heart and lifted its spirit! It is the pride of Nova Scotia and a Canadian icon, and it has also been a big part of the Royal Canadian Mint’s story since 1937.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- NO GST/HST
- Mintage 2,000
- Composition 99.99% pure gold
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 7.8
- Diameter (mm) 20
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 100 dollars
- Artist Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Your coin is individually encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.