On the 75th anniversary of V-E Day, we salute those who served in the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) and Women’s Royal Canadian Naval Service (WRCNS or “Wrens”) during the Second World War. The 2020 Special Edition Silver Dollar is exclusive to this proof set. Its Naval Ensign is a colourful symbol of nearly six years of bravery and sacrifice at sea, where Canada’s naval forces contributed significantly to the Allied victory in 1945—from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and waters in between.
On the 2020 Special Edition Silver Dollar coin, the reverse design by artist Maskull Lasserre is a V-E Day (“V”) salute to the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN). A coloured pre-1965 Naval Ensign provides a stirring backdrop for the engraved depiction of a member of the Women’s Royal Canadian Naval Service (WRCNS) and two members of the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) standing on the foredeck of a Tribal-class destroyer. The obverse features the effigy of King George VI by T. H. Paget and a Victory privy mark.
- A SALUTE TO CANADA’S NAVAL HERITAGE: The special edition $1 coin in this set is our tribute to the Royal Canadian Navy as we commemorate the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War in Europe.
- TWO SET EXCLUSIVES: Struck in 99.99% pure silver, the selectively coloured dollar coin is only available as part of this set, which also includes a 2020 version of the 1945 Victory five-cent coin.
- CONTINUING FROM THE 2020 PROOF DOLLAR: The special edition silver proof dollar is the continuation of a story that began on the 2020 Proof Dollar, whose sailor appears on this coin.
- SELECTIVE COLOUR: Selective colour highlights the Naval Ensign that was proudly flown on all Royal Canadian Navy vessels during the Second World War.
- A VICTORY PRIVY MARK: Every coin in our 2020 75th Anniversary of V-E Day collection — including this set’s silver proof dollar—features a special privy mark that was inspired by the 1945 Victory nickel design.
- INCLUDES THE RARELY SEEN 50-CENT COIN: Every denomination in circulation is represented in this set, including the rarely seen 50-cent coin.
- HISTORIC OBVERSE: Another collection-wide feature is the obverse design, which features the effigy of the reigning monarch in 1945.
- SHOWCASE THIS SET WITH PRIDE: Book-style packaging allows you to showcase this set with pride. Each coin was hand selected to provide you with the best samples.
- INCLUDES A HOLOGRAPHIC V-E DAY DECAL: A holographic V-E Day decal extends the celebration beyond the coin and onto the beauty box. This logo is the hallmark of our 2020 V-E Day collection.