With its “V” for Victory and its coded message to Canadians everywhere, Thomas Shingles’ Victory design reflected this nation’s spirit in 1945. Now, 75 years later, we’re bringing the famous design back on a new $2 commemorative circulation coin, which honours the contributions and sacrifices that paved the way to Allied victory.
This keepsake set features two versions of Canada’s $2 circulation coin issued in 2020 to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War. Both the uncoloured and coloured versions appear alongside our classic $1, 25-, 10- and 5-cent circulation denominations, and all six coins are packaged in a special collector card.
The reverse pays tribute to the Victory 5-cent coin designed by Thomas Shingles (“T.S.”). On the inner core, a “V” for Victory is overlaid with a flaming torch and flanked by maple leaves, while the double dates “1945” and “2020” commemorate the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War. At the top of the outer ring, two images of a maple leaf appear within the line pattern. The words “VICTORY” and “VICTOIRE” are framed by an inscription in International (Morse) Code; when translated, the dots and dashes mean “WE WIN WHEN WE WORK WILLINGLY” and “LA BONNE VOLONTÉ EST GAGE DE VICTOIRE”. At the bottom of the outer ring, the inscriptions “REMEMBER” and “SOUVENIR” are paired with two security marks consisting of a maple leaf within another maple leaf. The selectively coloured $2 coin adds a deep blue colour to the “V” symbol and a mix of orange and yellow to the silver torch’s flame. The obverse features the word “CANADA”, the denomination (“2 DOLLARS”) and the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- TOKENS OF THE PAST: To mark the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War, we’re bringing back the Victory coin design that is a longstanding symbol of remembrance.
- PIECES OF CANADIAN COIN HISTORY: The wartime design is part of the Mint’s history: Thomas Shingles designed it in his first year as Master Engraver of the Royal Canadian Mint.
- INCLUDES TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS: This set includes two versions of the $2 commemorative circulation coin: an uncoloured (engraved-only) piece and a selectively coloured one.
- THE YEAR IN COINS: Grouped together in a keepsake collector card, this set gives you uncirculatedversions of Canadian circulation coins issued in 2020.
- SIX COINS IN TOTAL: You get one of every denomination circulating in 2020, including four classic designs ($1, 25-, 10- and 5-cent coins) and two versions of the $2 commemorative coin.