The year 2020 marked the 150th anniversary of Manitoba’s entry into Confederation, and we’re commemorating this milestone with a special issue: a 2 oz. pure silver version of the 1970 Manitoba Centennial nickel dollar. This commemorative piece is nearly twice the size and every bit as detailed as the original issue—it even features the same effigy (by Arnold Machin) on its obverse.
The reverse is a 2 oz.-sized reproduction of the 1970 Manitoba Centennial nickel dollar by Canadian artist Raymond Taylor. The official floral emblem of Manitoba, the prairie crocus (Anemone patens), is surrounded with the updated legend “MANITOBA 1870-2020” that commemorates the province’s 150th anniversary. The obverse features a laser-engraved repeating pattern of the Manitoba 150 logo behind the historic effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Arnold Machin.
- MANITOBA 150: The year 2020 marked the 150th anniversary of Manitoba’s entry into Confederation, and in honour of this milestone, we’ve re-created the 1970 Manitoba Centennial nickel dollar on a 2 oz. pure silver coin. Its prairie crocus design is a beautiful, symbolic tribute to the province, its history and its people!
- HISTORIC OBVERSE: Just like the original issue in 1970, the obverse features Arnold Machin’s 1964 effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- LASER-ENGRAVED FIELD PATTERN: Behind the effigy, the laser-engraved Manitoba 150 logo forms a cutting-edge field pattern that commemorates the anniversary.
- A CLASSIC DESIGN! The reverse design looks nearly the same as the original coin, except for the higher face value and the double dates (“1870-2020”) that reflect the anniversary.
- A PRECIOUS METAL UPGRADE: The 1970 coin was crafted from 99.9% nickel but this piece is crafted from 2 oz. of 99.99% pure silver.
- LARGER SIZE: This pure silver coin also weighs 62.69 g and has a diameter of 50 mm. It’s much larger than the 1970 commemorative dollar, which measured 32.13 mm and weighed 15.62 g.
- A SPECIAL CONNECTION: We’re celebrating too! Winnipeg, Man., is home to our state-of-the-art facility—it’s where every Canadian circulation coin has been produced since 1976—and the Royal Canadian Mint family includes many proud Manitobans!
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- NO GST/HST
- Mintage 2,500
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 62.69
- Diameter (mm) 50
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 30 dollars
- Artist Raymond Taylor (reverse), Arnold Machin (obverse)
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a beauty box.