Our 2020 Remembrance Day tribute is shaped like a real poppy and resembles the inspiration for the wartime poem In Flanders Fields. This coin is the most lifelike flower we’ve ever crafted from 99.99% pure silver. Its reverse is carefully sculpted to capture many of the poppy’s botanical details, from the outward-curving petals to the innermost whorl, while an antique finish highlights every crinkle, curl and fold. It is this flower that represents a nation’s gratitude to those who fought, those who were lost, those who continue to serve, and all the loved ones who have supported them through the years.
Designed by Canadian artist/engraver Alex Tirabasso, the inward-rounding reverse features four overlapping flower petals that give this coin a realistic poppy shape. Each petal is carefully sculpted to closely resemble its real-life counterpart, from the outward curving edges to its softly crinkled texture, which is enhanced with an antique finish. The petals surround the centre stigma disk that forms a radiating pattern inside the poppy. The obverse’s coin-shaped base features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt with an engraved legend that includes the words “CANADA”, “2020” and “20 DOLLARS”.
- SHAPED LIKE A REAL POPPY: In 2019, we introduced the world’s first poppy-shaped coin. For 2020, we’re adding new dimension to our annual tradition of remembrance with an inward-rounding coin that forms the shape of a real poppy.
- LOOKS LIKE A REAL POPPY: The petals that give this coin its shape have been carefully sculpted to give them the same outward-curving edges and crepe paper-like texture as an actual poppy flower.
- ANTIQUE FINISH: The coin’s antique finish emphasizes every sculpted fold and curl to give the petals a more lifelike appearance.
- ART IMITATING LIFE: Your coin is the most realistic, natural-looking flower we’ve ever crafted from 99.99% pure silver.
- BOTANICAL DETAILS: To truly capture the poppy’s essence, the engraved elements on the reverse include the stigma disk that forms a radiating pattern deep inside the flower.
- A REMEMBRANCE DAY TRADITION: By reproducing the flower inspiration for the poem In Flanders Fields, we’re honouring all who have served and those who continue to serve our country in the name of freedom and, most of all, peace. Their sacrifices will not be forgotten by generations of Canadians, as represented by this poppy coin.
- Mintage 7,000
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish antique
- Weight (g) 28.5
- Diameter (mm) 36
- Edge plain
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 20 dollars
- Artist Alex Tirabasso (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.