As part of our 2020 V-E Day collection, this premium piece bears a Victory privy mark and comes packaged in a special V-E Day beauty box. Its selectively gold-plated design highlights Canada’s involvement in the Allied food drops of 1945, which provided much-needed relief to millions of starving civilians still trapped behind enemy lines. And with a diameter of 76.25 mm, this is our largest Liberation of the Netherlands-themed tribute to the Canadians who fought for freedom on the ground and at sea, and to those who delivered hope from above.
Double-dated to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Liberation of the Netherlands (“1945” “2020”), the reverse design by Canadian artist John Mantha features a ground-level view of Operation Manna (April 29-May 8, 1945) from the perspective of Dutch civilians. Flying low over a designated drop zone in western Netherlands, one of the Lancaster bombers flown by Canadian aircrews of RAF Bomber Command has dropped her cargo. Selective gold plating highlights the bombers, the packages and the windmill on the reverse, as well as the rim on both sides. The selectively gold-plated obverse features the effigy of King George VI by T.H. Paget and a “V for Victory” privy mark.
- A BOND BETWEEN TWO NATIONS: This coin is a 10 oz.-sized celebration of the special relationship that exists between Canada and the Netherlands. Its design highlights Canada’s involvement in the food drops that cemented the bond forged between our two countries 75 years ago.
- OUR LARGEST LIBERATION OF THE NETHERLANDS COMMEMORATIVE COIN: With a diameter of 76.25 mm, this 10 oz. coin allows for a wealth of finely engraved details that capture an emotionally charged event in history.
- SELECTIVE GOLD PLATING: Selective gold plating highlights key symbols that tell the story of our bi-national friendship.
- A VICTORY PRIVY MARK: Every coin in our 2020 75th Anniversary of V-E Day collection–including this premium piece–is distinguished by a special privy mark that was inspired by the 1945 Victory nickel design. (A modern-day version of Canada’s historic 5-cent coin is available as part of the 2020 Proof Dollar Set.)
- A GROUND-LEVEL VIEW: Like the 2020 $10 Canadian Army and Battlefront coins, this design shows the Liberation of the Netherlands from the perspective of those who lived it. A ground-level perspective shows a Dutch civilian’s view of the Allied airdrops that provided relief from famine.
- INCLUDES A HOLOGRAPHIC V-E DAY DECAL: A holographic V-E Day decal extends the celebration beyond the coin and onto the beauty box. This logo is the hallmark of our 2020 V-E Day collection.
- A HISTORIC OBVERSE: Like all Canadian coins issued in 1945, and like all our 2020 V-E Day coins, this 99.99% pure silver coin features the effigy of King George VI by T.H. Paget.
- LIMITED MINTAGE: Your coin has a limited worldwide mintage.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- Mintage 550
- Composition 99.99% pure silver with gold plating
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 311.54
- Diameter (mm) 76.25
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 100 dollars
- Artist John Mantha (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Black clamshell with black beauty box