The latest innovation from our R&D lab raises the bar when it comes to dimensional design and allows the engraved focal point to reach new heights—literally. Introducing Lifted Engraving, a numismatic first that makes its world debut on this limited-edition prototype. The groundbreaking technology is a 3D approach to 2D coin art. It allows us to highlight a key design element by raising it above the engraved surface of the coin. To demonstrate its full potential, the never-before-seen technique has been applied to this 2020 pure silver version of the 1997 Flying Loon dollar. The loon you see lifting up from the coin’s surface is not an embellishment—it’s part of the coin. And so is the integrated hinge, which provides just the right amount of lift for our loon, and our new technology, to take flight on this prototype.
The reverse is a reproduction of the 1997 Flying Loon $1 coin design by Canadian artist Jean-Luc Grondin. Enhanced with Lifted Engraving, the loon has been smoothly cut away from its engraved lake setting and elevated above the coin’s surface with the help of an integrated hinge. The obverse features the repeating R&D Lab logo as a tiled background behind the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- YOUR EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK! This is a rare opportunity to own a prototype coin featuring the latest groundbreaking innovation from the Royal Canadian Mint’s R&D researchers.
- A WORLD FIRST! Our new Enhanced elevation technique allows the focal point of the design to reach new heights thanks to the world’s first integrated hinge, which raises the relief above the coin’s surface.
- VERY LOW MINTAGE! Crafted from 2 oz. 99.99% pure silver, this coin is part of the initial test run for our new technology, and that’s why the mintage is so low.
- SPECIAL PACKAGING! Your prototypecoin comes packaged in an exclusive R&D Lab wooden box with a special certificate to explain the technology.
- A NEW LOOK, AN OLD FAVOURITE! This flying loon first appeared in 1997. Here, the new technology adds an extra dimension to the art by providing more lift for the loon during take-off.
- A POPULAR COLLECTIBLE! Previous From the R&D Lab coins sold out quickly!
- NO GST/HST
- Mintage 425
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish antique
- Weight (g) 59.5
- Diameter (mm) 50
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 1 dollar
- Artist Jean Luc Grondin (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)