They are the four elements that were believed by the ancient Greeks to be the pillars of life: Earth, grounding and nourishing; Air, always in motion; Fire, provider of heat and light; and Water, constantly flowing. They are the cornerstones of our natural world. And they are especially significant in a nation like ours, with an identity that is so strongly tied to nature.
Designed by artist Rebecca Yanovskaya, your four-part image ties together the four elements within a circle that represents a continuous circle—Canada’s past, present, and future. Each square coin features a quadrant named (in English and in French) for an elemental energy, with all four elements bleeding into the other:
- “FIRE FEU” features the comforting glow of a campfire that symbolizes heat and light, with maple leaf-shaped flames that represent pride burning in the hearts of Canadians.
- “AIR” is represented by the warm chinook that descends the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains, and the winds that provide lift for our migratory bird species.
- “EARTH TERRE” features the forests, rocks and fields that are the foundation of this land.
- “WATER EAU” is represented by a fast-flowing river filled with salmon to symbolize the fisheries.
The completed circle is framed by red, gold, brown, and green-coloured maple leaves, the beloved symbol of Canada. Each reverse includes the engraved word “CANADA” and the year “2019”. Each obverse features the face value “3 DOLLARS” and the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- The four elements make their debut. The theme has never been featured on a Canadian coin (until now). This is our first exploration of a concept that was fundamental to the ancient sciences and philosophy. Instead of symbols, we opted for a visual storytelling approach by highlighting the impact of these forces of nature in Canada.
- Fire. Air. Earth. Water. This fine silver set features a four-part image. Each square coin is a quadrant; when all four coins are tiled, they complete a circular illustration of the four elements of nature in Canada.
- A powerful first impression. From the moment you open the clamshell case, you’ll see the full design. All four coins come individually encapsulated and securely placed in a recessed insert, to be viewed and displayed as one complete set.
- Exceptional details. The carefully sculpted design is rich in detail, with different frostings that transform an etched image into a dynamic piece of art.
- A touch of colour. In all four corners of the completed design, the maple leaves are transformed by seasonal colours: red, gold, brown and green.
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 11.72 g each
Diameter: 27 x 27 mm
Face Value: $3
Artist: Rebecca Yanovskaya
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box