The 2018 $2 circulation coin commemorates the centennial of the Armistice of 1918, an agreement for peace after the four long, mud-soaked years of the First World War (1914-1918). Twice featured in this collection, the special issue is an expression of a nation’s gratitude for peace — a memento to honour the legacy of the combatants whose contributions we collectively remember every November 1.
The reverse image by Canadian artist Laurie McGaw marks the 100th anniversary of the Armistice of 1918 with a poignant pairing of two symbols of remembrance. Within the brass-plated inner core, a soldier’s helmet represents the end of the First World War and serves as a solemn reminder of the many lives lost during history’s first mechanized war. Below the helmet lies a large poppy, the official bloom of remembrance inspired by the Canadian poem In Flanders Fields, and whose bright scarlet colour is re-created on selectively coloured versions of the $2 coin. To represent English and French, two more poppies are engraved on the nickel-plated outer ring, which includes a banner bearing the bilingual words “REMEMBER”, “SOUVENIR” and the year “2018”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- A SOLEMN CENTENARY: The 2018 $2 circulation coin honours the 100th anniversary of the ceasefire that brought an end to the First World War.
- A SIX-COIN SET: This set of 2018 coins includes Canada’s 5-cent, 10-cent, 25-cent and $1circulation coins AND two different versions (engraved-only and selectively coloured) of the special-themed $2 coin.
- A SYMBOL AND COLOUR OF REMEMBRANCE: The selectively coloured version features a symbolic touch of bright scarlet on the reverse, where the poppy is a widely known symbol of remembrance that was inspired by the Canadian poem In Flanders Fields.
- PERMANENT SECURITY FEATURE: Also included on the reverse of the $2 coins, the engraved maple leaves are both a symbol of Canada and a cutting-edge security feature that ensures the coin’s authenticity.
- CANADA REMEMBERS: Each $2 coin is a collectible tribute to our combatants of the First World War, and a pledge to never forget.
- Mintage While supplies last
- Finish Circulation
Packaging Coins sealed in a blister on the inside panel of a graphic card.