Shaped like a door adorned with Fai Chun decorations for the Chinese New Year, your coin recreates the eye-catching banners that are a beautiful invitation for luck and fortune to enter. As in real life, the auspicious red colour magnifies the meaning of the gold-coloured characters and colourful images that signify “good wishes,” “auspiciousness” and “good luck.” A special blessing to confer upon a recipient for the year.
Like a door adorned with traditional Fai Chun paper decorations, your coin’s design by Canadian artist Aries Cheung offers a festive greeting and a wish for luck and fortune throughout the year. Two vertical Chiuntao banners and the diamond-shaped Doufang at the centre are brought to life by a deep red colour application and the use of translucent colour, which mimics the look of traditional gold foil. Together, these rich colours magnify the symbolic meaning of the calligraphic characters for “good wishes” (right), “auspiciousness” (left) and “good luck” or “fortune” (centre). This powerful blessing is further enhanced by various symbolic images, including a jade “ru yi” (right); an “auspicious” tangerine (left); and a repeating motif of a stylized bat or fú, which is homophonous with the word it surrounds. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- TRADITION MEETS INNOVATION! Introducing our first rectangular-shaped coin celebrating Chinese-Canadian culture!
- A WISH FOR A BANNER YEAR! Your coin is shaped like a door adorned with red banners that are a cherished tradition for Chinese New Year!
- HIGHLY SYMBOLIC DESIGN! Each design element holds special significance—from the calligraphic symbols to the auspicious “8”-dollar face value!
- SUPERB COLOURS! Another auspicious element, the rich red colour easily catches the eye, while translucent colour mimics the traditional gold foil of the calligraphic symbols.
- HONOURING OUR CHINESE-CANADIAN COMMUNITIES! Your visually stunning coin is a proud cultural celebration of Canada’s Chinese communities.
- MINTAGE LIMITED TO 5,888! Similar-themed coins sold out quickly! Limited to just 5,888 coins worldwide, your collectible con is sure to be cherished for its artistic appeal and rich symbolism.
- PURE SILVER! Your coin is crafted from 99.99% pure silver.
- NO GST/HST!
- Mintage 5,888
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish proof
- Weight (g)4 7.35
- Diameter (mm) 49.80 mm x 28.60 mm
- Edge plain
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 8 dollars
- Artist Aries Cheung (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.