For 2020, our Ottawa and Winnipeg facilities joined forces to create the first “made in Manitoba” numismatic tribute to our world-renowned Gold Maple Leaf (GML) bullion coin. It was the first pure gold numismatic coin struck at our Winnipeg facility, and its distinctive “W” mint mark and burnished (matte) finish set it apart. You’ll find the same Gold Maple Leaf design and “W” (Winnipeg) mint mark on this 2021 collectible, but with a tailored specimen finish that was inspired by the striking exterior of our Winnipeg facility.
Your coin’s reverse reproduces the iconic maple leaf from the 1979 Gold Maple Leaf bullion coin designed by Master Engraver Walter Ott; to this day, the design remains in use on all Maple Leaf bullion coins. The reverse features a “W” mint mark to the left of the leaf stem, indicating that this numismatic coin was struck at our Winnipeg facility rather than in Ottawa, where our numismatic coins are typically struck. On both the reverse and obverse, the coin’s tailored specimen finish was inspired by our Winnipeg facility’s striking exterior, with straight lines in the background meeting on an angle in the centre. The obverse includes the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- A “W” MINT MARK! The “W” mint mark signifies that this pure gold numismatic coin was struck at our circulation production facility in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- UNIQUE COIN FINISH! Both the reverse and obverse feature a tailored specimen finish that was inspired by our Winnipeg facility’s striking architecture.
- A CANADIAN ICON! The maple leaf celebrates our great nation in all its beauty and diversity, and on this pure gold coin, it speaks to a proud minting tradition and the timeless appeal of our world-renowned Gold Maple Leaf coins.
- LOW MINTAGE! Only 500 of these coins are available to collectors worldwide.
- 1 OZ. PURE GOLD! Your coin is crafted from 99.99% pure gold.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- NO GST/HST
- Mintage 500
- Composition 99.99% pure gold
- Finish tailored specimen
- Weight (g) 31.16
- Diameter (mm) 30
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 50 dollars
- Artist Walter Ott (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.